Thursday, October 19, 2006

every party needs a pooper, that's why we invited me, party pooper! pooper duper!

Fine. Here. I wasn't going to spoil the fun. But I will. Because people talk about the show all the time. I'll tell you why I don't like it.

I can't watch Grey's Anatomy. In one of the first episodes they make a joke out of Meredith's "tiny, ineffectual fists". (It comes up at least twice in this episode.)

She's making fists because she's mad, and first of all, she's not taken seriously. (I'm not saying they should all cower in fear because she'll kill them, but there is a middle ground.) Second, she's infantalized - awww! isn't it cute, the little girl is getting angry and thinks she can do something! awww...

What completely turned me off of the show, though, was the reaction they wrote for her. She gets all giggly and snuggly with the guy, "Teehee. My anger doesn't matter. Aren't I cute for being so weak?"

Her weakness is what's supposed to be so attractive. That's ridiculous. These people are supposedly there to be surgeons, who have a reputation for being assertive, intelligent, and forceful. I'm not saying that they should write to these stereotypes - stereotypes of any kind aren't helpful - but what they're doing, essentially, is saying to be attractive Meredith has to counteract her surgeon strength with this other weakness bullshit.

Sure, there must be amusing parts in the show. Sure, the are addictive, soap opera-esque plotlines. Sure, there's eye candy.

But why do they have to make the main character go, Giggle, giggle. I'm weak, isn't that cute?

No, no it's not.


****
(Look at the other female characters - their supervisor is strong, but not supposed to be seen as attractive. Izzy is attractive, but can't get "too" powerful because she was a stripper/nude model, so she balances out that way. Sandra Oh's character is played as strong, but socially awkward/problematic.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home