Wednesday, September 13, 2006

and another thing...

Let's flashback together to two summers ago, shall we?

Floating down a river in kayaks, Ashley shares with the rest of the flotilla a recipe from her Mississippi (and yes, I just did that little sing-songy thing in my head when I spelled that) heritage.

ASHLEY: Anybody want some sweet tea? It's good.

Well, sure. What could be better that having a nice, sweet, refreshing beverage as we enjoy this quiet part of the river, right?

HALLEY or MARY-J (I dont' remember who tried it first): Ashley! What is this?!?!
ASHLEY: (laughing. probably at us.) It's bourbon.

So, for the rest of the river and the rest of the weekend we enjoyed ourselves some sweet tea.
I figured it was just a kind of code that people understood. Like in Amsterdam, coffeeshop=weed, not coffee. Here, perhaps, sweet tea=bourbon. Fine.

Back to the future. I see a McDonald's commercial where they're selling sweet tea for a dollar. I'm a little confused, but thinking, go MickeyD's. I start seeing it more and more places. Hmm.

DC is not, in fact, a city of big bourbon drinkers. Turns out that in some places sweet tea is actually sweet tea.

Life below the Mason-Dixon line is confusing.

1 Comments:

At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting accent(s) you'll have...Chicago, Boston 'wicked', Aussie 'mate' and Wash,dc virginian......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home