Thursday, September 29, 2005

uhhh, I'm uncomfortable with the cheese....

On the tram yesterday, I see an ad for a children's cartoon series. The ad says, "Who lives in deepest darkest Africa? Kimba the Brave White Lion." Anyone remember that song in South Pacific, You've got to be carefully taught...

We also have White Lady Funerals - funerals run/officiated by women, "with a woman's touch," all dressed in purest white. But still. It doesn't sound so good...

And the best one: Coon Cheese. Yes, coon cheese. When we first saw it at the supermarket, we gave each other the "ohhhh myyyyy" look, but thought, okay, clearly 'coon' doesn't mean the same thing here. Then in my class, I mentioned it to some people at a break. And guess what. Coon is the same offensive slang word here as it is at home. But they still market the cheese. Super.

***

Other products that wouldn't translate to the US market:

Columbine Tights and Nylons

Schwarzkopf Hair Care products --- Yes, Stormin' Norman is here for all your styling and coloring needs.

Doritos --- Okay. I know there are Doritos in the US. And I'm not voting no on this one based on the name alone. The regular nacho cheese Doritos here just don't have that genuine "traffic-cone orange" flavor. We were at Ali's apartment and I put one of these so-called Doritos in my mouth and immediately asked no one, "What the heck is this???" and had Christine try one of these things, too. She concurred with my assessment - these are not the Doritos of my people. I think they tried to flavor it like real cheese. Silly Aussies, don't they know the Dorito-y goodness lies in its "cheese-like product" flavor?

1 Comments:

At 5:38 PM, Blogger The Brouillard Family said...

Hey, maybe the Doritos are different because they used Coon Cheese!

:) Suzanne (Eric's sister)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home