Sunday, December 31, 2006

Tah-DAH!

I have a new bookshelf. A big one. Woo!

It came to live in my apartment thanks to Craigslist, and thanks to the help of my sister, the top of my head, and a dolly. We walked the cheap, 6' fucker back from a guy's apartment a few blocks away. We pulled it behind us. On the driveway to the back of my building, we found out it was much easier to push it.

We walked down the street with our heads obscured by the top of the bookshelf (the back piece had come off by that time so the top of the case encircled us), so it looked like there was a tilted bookshelf with four legs walking up a hill.

"Hey, Lisa, look at that! You see how the top of that building-"
"Halley! Keep walking!"
"Yes, Lisa."

We won't talk about how, at first, the shelf didn't fit. (Yes, I measured, but the measurements I was given were wrong.) We won't talk about how I had to jimmy a few things with screwdrivers, unwire some wires, and folding and shoving cardboard. We carried it, it was going to go in.

2 Comments:

At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your "why doesn't it fit? I measured!" pain. I think the most often heard phrase in my house the first week we were there was "what do you mean it doesn't fit? How can it not fit?".

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger hmcd said...

halley! it's heather mcd. i love that you and your sis carried heavy furniture through DC. it is a rather liberating feeling, isn't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home