Wednesday, August 30, 2006

My own Luddite revolution

For about fifteenth time in two days, an office here has told me that I can just print it out/change it/view it online. This is after I show up to the office to do it in person.

I love the internet. I do. It's that kind of sick, obsessive, addictive love...ameliorated through periods of going cold turkey in its absence. Brings a nice balance. Kumbaya.

However, the existence of online resources shouldn't prevent me from being able to do things face to face. For example, if I show up, don't tell me to go away.

I have anti-social moments where I would rather march in my own one-woman-pleather-bikini parade than have to deal with a real live person. In those moments, the internet is just faboo.

But if I'm standing in front of you, wouldn't it just be easier to hand me the form to fill out right there? Wouldn't the parents/wolves/fairy godmother who raised you kvell with your (at least, minimal) sense of hospitality? Dont' you miss the sense of accomplishment from being able to say, "Why, yes, you special, special person, I would be delighted to help you in whatever way I can, in line with my pay grade and number of minutes before my break!"

And if you're still going to send me away, at least offer me a cookie for my troubles.

2 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sort of like the difference between writing a letter with fountain pen and beautiful handmaded paper and typing it on smooth anonymous plastic keys.....

there is a different sense of reality....

or seeing the heads at mt.rushmore in a magazine and actually running your hands on the slightly rough and bumpy granite.......

 
At 10:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm cookie. Yum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home