Friday, September 08, 2006

hey, HEY, you, YOU, get off of my cloud!

There's another 'Halley' in one of my classes. Not a 'Haley', but a 'Halley'. It's very strange. This has never happened to me before.

(begin sarcastic, hysterical rant) I'm not like you people! I've never met someone with my name before! I've never had to be referred to by my first name and last initial before! It's madness! Madness, I say! How do you cope??? How can you exist in a world where your name is not your own??? Used by millions and millions of people?!?!? What am I supposed to do with this person, this undergrad, this seemingly characteristic-free entity?! (end rant)

Okay. I'm sure she's a perfectly fine human being. I want to like her, too... y'know, since she has my name and all. I feel like we should have some sort of camraderie. But she really seems to be quite boring. No, really.

Possibly this is because I don't know her. Possibly, because I don't find her hair interesting. The world may never know.

Years ago, I found a lists in a book of most common and uncommon names. My parents' names were on the most common. My and my sister's names (or some close cousin) were on the most uncommon. Over the years, as the close cousins got more and more popular, my and my sister's names got mispronounced more and more often. "Oh, how are Hayley and Alissa?" Super. Just super.

So you can understand how used to having my own name I got. And in comes this person who claims to have my name, as well. I feel like challenging her to some kind of grudge match (badminton? jeopardy-style trivia? sock puppets?) for the rights to the name. Is that allowed? Because if I won, I, of course, would be magnanimous in victory. I wouldn't make her throw out her personalised stationary. Of course she couldn't use it anymore, but I wouldn't make her throw it out.

3 Comments:

At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my high-school algebra class, I was one of FOUR Jamies. It's a ridiculously common name, it's a stupid boy name, and people often like to spell it some other way and then tell me that I am the one spelling it incorrectly . Um.. no. It's my name. I think I know how to spell it, thank you. Or they call me James. Grrr!

A few weeks ago I was at dinner with a group of people, one of whom was a guy named Jamie (with whom I also went to high school but is not one of the aforementioned Jamies). Everytime these people I didn't know would address him, I'd automatically turn my head. I knew they didn't mean me, because they don't know me, but it's sort of a gut reaction. Someone says my name and I look in their direction.

Beh.

So this girl/woman/what have you spells and pronounces her name the same as yours?

 
At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, that is funny Jamie. I turn my head when people say "at least." It sorta sounds like Alyssa or Alissa, Alisa, Melissa (what people usually call me). But I should know better when people say "at least" that they are not talking to me because sadly people usually just mispronounce my name and call me Alissa. blah.

 
At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

COMMON!?#@.....never that....first of all, my name is rarely spelled correctly; and secondly, I AM CAROLE.....all others, merely ape-ists! All Hail, the rightful Carole.

BTW, whenever I was in class and this certain student was called, I looked up too (and vice versa)....his name was Harold!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home