Saturday, May 06, 2006

over the river and through the woods...

(On the phone today)

ME: So what do you want to be called as a grandparent?

MOM: I think I want to be called Bubbles.

ME: Bubbles? Not Bubbie, but Bubbles?

MOM: Yeah. Bubbles.

ME: And what does Dad want to be called? Zayde? Because Bubbles and Zayde is almost like Bubbie and Zayde.

MOM: I don't know. I'll ask him.
(Pause)
MOM: Ted Williams.


Come on, kids! Into the car! It's time to go see Bubbles and Ted Williams!


***
A close family friend just had her first child, making the baby's parents' parents into grandparents for the first time, on both sides.

Her father wants to be called Zayde. Her mother wants to be called Peaches.

2 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahahaha.

My mother and I had a similar conversation when we first found out my sister was pregnant.

My mom now goes by "G-Ma" and John is "G-Pa". G-Ma is pretty dumb but the list of other possibilities was far worse.

 
At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, not many people are really ever excited about taking on the label of grandparent, with its connotations of geritol and wheat germ.

excited about the baby - sure.
the label - not so much.

Since "they" don't have any snazzier names, I think it makes sense that people are making up names themselves.

I know I wouldn't answer to Granny Halley. Ever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home