Saturday, May 27, 2006

It's the Great Rough Draft, Charlie Brown

Arrrooooooooooooooooooo

This is the part in the cartoon where Snoopy sits on the top of his dog house and howls at the moon.

I have been at work on the thesis. Which is due in two weeks. And needs much help. So I'm trying to help it. But there's only so much one can do when one's brain is running on kibble.

My advisor politely strong-armed me into coming in every day to sit in my office (across the hall from her office) to work on the subsequent drafts. Partially so we can accomplish multiple redrafts at once. Partially because she thinks I'm a lazy, apathetic moron. And at this point, I'm not really disagreeing with her - at least on the 'moron' part. I had comments on my draft, like, "this word is not a word," and "this sentence is not a sentence." My favorite was, "This chapter is not a chapter." Nice.

When I wake up to haul ass out to Bundoora (and yes, that's as far away as it sounds), there has been frost on my window. I can see my breath as I walk to the tram. It was even a worse scenario when my maniacally-angry, injured toe was still bad enough that I couldn't wear shoes and had to wear my Tevas with socks underneath and hobble around. (And yes, I did get funny looks at school from all the cool kids...and all the rest of the kids, too.)

I was so happy to get back to the shoe-wearing stage, when my talent came sparkling through. I banged my foot into the back of my desk. Same foot. Same toe. At first, I just assumed the old boo-boo hurt and the pain would go away. But as hours and then a day passed, I realized, no, I had in fact sprained/bruised myself anew. Same foot. Same toe. That's talent.

And today I've spent some time bent over, howling on the floor, because I banged the toe into various pieces of furniture around the apartment. I'm becoming an insurance risk. I should get a guide dog.

Okay, back to this little section of the thesis on postcolonial dramatic strategies in site-specific work in gender and performance spaces. I'm almost finished with this part. Just inserting another key quotation so it looks like I'm well-versed in the arguments of the authors. Smoke and mirrors, my friends. Smoke and mirrors.

Arrrooooooooooooooooooo

1 Comments:

At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

unfortunately, you take after your mother....AROOOOOOOOOOOO

 

Post a Comment

<< Home