Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Once more, with feeling...

It happened again.

Today at the gym, after I asked a question, the instructor asked me if I was Canadian.

I don't think it was because of my maple leaf bathing suit or because I said, "What are you talking aboot Michael J. Fox, ya hoser, eh?" In fact, I don't believe she even thought I was Canadian.

But the Canadians here (and most places) are a testy bunch. Though they seem pleasant enough on the surface, they have the population running scared. If you ask a Canadian if they're American, they get very upset. And to a limit, they have a right to be. Every large, boring country with more moose than people has a right to their own identity. Though, I think that upset limit comes in somewhere before "tantrum" level. On the other hand, if you ask an American if they're Canadian, we don't particularly care, on the whole. In fact, it's almost a compliment. "Ooh, you mean I look like my government provides me with health care? Why, thank you!"

So here the standard question from Aussies when they hear an accent that sounds like all the American accents from tv is, "Oh, are you Canadian?" Here, if no where else, there is a Canuck default. Good for them.

Hosers.

2 Comments:

At 12:23 AM, Blogger E said...

I think most of the rest of the world just think that U.S. citizens don't leave the U.S. and therefore we would have to be Canadian by proximity.

 
At 2:47 AM, Blogger Halley said...

that's a really good point.

I'll just have to be more obvious in my American-ness. Maybe I could wear one of those "Dear World, I'm sorry - but I didn't vote for him this time either." tshirts?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home