Saturday, December 24, 2005

Will work for air conditioning

Chanukah/Christmas is tomorrow and Sarah and I have plans to be out in the middle of the Great Barrier Reef again. I bought a new disposable underwater camera because the first one is almost used up. Spent another day in the swimsuit and sarong ensemble today. Bought a sun hat. Currently sitting in wet shorts, typing. Don't tell the next person I was the one who wet the seat, mkay?

We're staying at an adorable place outide the main strip (read: not littered with drunken nekkid 19-year-olds), called Bush Village. We have a cabin to ourselves, cook lunches, and feed coins to the air conditioner. I have taken to calling the AC my found one true love in life. We're running away together, until the power cord unplugs. Then it's over. I'm terribly superficial, I know. They make a nice breakfast at this place and run free shuttles to the main strip, a few minutes away. We walked here today and sweated enough to irrigate a small nation. Like Russia. We managed to be here around the hottest and most humid time of the year. Even the little lizards who live on our porch and the surrounding palm trees have told us they're flying South for the summer. I would let them in the cabin to use the air-conditioning, but that would mean sharing my one true love - and I'm just not that kind of woman.

Eric, in a feat of boyish grace, acquired a bit of a booboo and didn't make it all the way into town. The other three of us hit the Saturday crafts market in town and then the artificial lagoon. The lagoon is huge, and natural-looking, for an artificial lagoon. You don't swim in the ocean here without a stinger suit because it's stinger season (stingrays, assorted jellies, other stinging stuff). So we swam around the lagoon, beached ourselves on the grass, marvelled at other people's even tans. I've gotten some color - we all have - but it's not the perfect tones of a Coppertone ad. It's more like pieces of toast from a toaster that doesn't work as well as it used to. But still, it's Dec 24 and we're tanning. I have little to complain about.


Okay, I'll write about the yacht later. The water was a beautiful as in the photos you see of the region. The blue of the deep open ocean is like that intense blue of those freezer eye masks, and the rest lighten into blue-greens and eventually go clear. The powerder white sand beach of Whitehaven beach was particularly lovely. But these are stories for another day. When I have another coin to give the nice internet cafe lady.


For now, here's the bay (I think it was this one) I steered the yacht into when we parked for the night on my birthday.

4 Comments:

At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh! So jealous I am. It sounds like you're having an amazing time and every time you describe things there and put up pictures it makes me want to visit Australia more than ever. It just looks so beautiful. Hence the jealousy.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Paul, Dammit! said...

It is 100% normal to get rubbery legs when you go ashore after a swelly trip! Bonine, not dramamine, helps with that.

Fun drivin' a boat, aint it?!!

We're both sunburnt, but I'd rather be where you are! Post pictures!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger leesepea said...

Holy crap, those pics are gorgeous!

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lagoon shots are UNREAL!!!!
makes you want to paint...and then feel so inadequate....GORGEOUS!!!
I'm with jamie...jealous!
carole

 

Post a Comment

<< Home