Friday, December 16, 2005

The Australian Salute

For a few days now, you'd think Melbourne was the friendliest place on the planet, where everyone knows everyone. Even if you don't know people, they'll wave to you anyway.

Au contrare, mon petit chien.* The explanation is flies. There are lots and lots of flies here that swarm around you whenever you go outside. Think Pigpen on Charlie Brown. People are always waving their arms and hands around their heads. It's common enough that it has a name: the Australian Salute.

Just to look around, it looks very friendly. Okay, it's not constant, or awful every moment outside. But on a walk, you'd notice it. And you do see the occasional hissy fit on the sidewalk. It's probably me. And I'm probably shouting something unitelligeable and whiny.

I can't complain too much, though - the day after tomorrow we leave for our beach holiday, starting on the racing yacht where we'll live for three days. Enjoy the snow at home. And yes, I know I keep mentioning that...



*I know, my French is limited. Feel free to make suggestions. For French statements. Not for how I can improve my French. Any culture that considers smiling rude is not a culture whose language I need to stress myself over.

2 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

le halley d'ha ha... doit avoir affaire avec des mouches... et chaud
survivez à... au and je me mentionnent vous détestent à ce
moment... ne veulent pas embarquer en arrière un certain embaumé
chaud survivent à vous font ? vous pourriez même envoyer quelques
mouches... que je ne m'occuperais pas vraiment... m'ai m'ai mentionné
ai cet vraiment outil de traduction d'amusement sur mon ordinateur.

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Halley said...

New toy, Megan? From the bit I got, I'll be be happy to send some to you, the heat and the flies. And you should feel badly for me - we're back from the tropics now and the weather here in melbourne feels cold now. Practically winter... ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home