Monday, November 07, 2005

poms vs bogans

I've realized I can now hear the difference between Australian and English accents. Now, I could decently guess before I came here, but I was never really sure. They sounded similar enough, right?

But now, watch out. I can separate the tea-drinkers from the...uh...other tea-drinkers.

Usually.

The issue comes in sometimes with middle-aged and older Aussies, who were sometimes instructed in the "proper and educated" way to speak, which meant English, especially in the theatre.

Bonus round: I can usually hear the difference between Aussies and Kiwis. But Oz and NZ have a very similar relationship to that of the US and Canada. read: lots of jokes, often involving sheep for the Kiwis, and well, beer-drinking idiots for the Aussies. Okay, so there aren't ridiculous amounts sheep in Canada...but they do have moose. And plaid. And hosers, eh.

2 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey sweetie...i just got my kudos from you...and i wanted to thank you...and my office got theirs as well...and they thank you too...

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Paul, Dammit! said...

Take off! Don't forget the Canadians all wear toques.

What's a bogan?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home