Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Living out of the side pocket.

Sounds like a song. But it's just my momentary reality. We have moved out of our apartment into Ali's for the next couple days and with all my crap (one large suitcase, one enormous suitcase, one really big duffle bag, two carry-on bags, not to mention the box of books I'll ship off tomorrow by post) I'm just living out of the side pocket of the duffle bag. 'Fashion plate' is not what I'm going for these few days.

Today, after a lovely, late-morning lie-in, I spent the day at ACMI (Australian Centre for the Moving Image) and the Ian Potter Gallery (which is the part of the National Gallery Victoria for Australian art). 50 Years of tv in Australia. Some of it crap. But this and the other areas were neat. Lots of kiosks with animation and shorts and people singing theme songs and cows in the Sudan and Pong and the largest wall of tvs. Ever. The length of a football field and stacked 15 high.

I saw it and it was like an addict's rush. Like a warm fuzzy. Like a kid in a (free) candy store. Like a banker in a (free) money store. I swear I felt the buzz of endorphins.

I'm getting probably my last (awwww) student rush ticket (woohoo!) here in Melbourne tonight. I'm going to see I am my Own Wife, put on by the MTC (Melbourne Theatre Co.) at the Malthouse, performed by the same one guy who made it so huge in NYC.

Somewhat of a full-circle moment, I'm sitting at a computer in the main library of Melbourne Uni, scamming free internet, like in the first days here, before we had an apartment or our internet hooked up. This might be a moment for a song cue, but if I sit here to think of what that song might be, I'm going to miss my tram to Southbank for the show. So I will leave you with the song that is in my head for some unknown reason: "There are worse things" from Sunday in the Park with George.

1 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'good-bye, farewell, auf wiedersehn'....sound of music

'bye,bye birdie' from play of same name

'goodnight sweetheart, well, it's time to go...' '60s song

......'gimme a head with hair, long beautiful, shining, gleaming...'......i just like the song

 

Post a Comment

<< Home