Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Finally, after much ado...

I have made it to Trader Joe's.

Despite my best (lack of) effort, today was my first trip to the DC Trader Joe's in Georgetown.

Now, I love Trader Joe's. I will talk about TJ's with anyone. I think about their products. I envision the different TJ's stores I've shopped at. I talk about my local TJ's like some people talk about their local pubs. I love Trader Joe's.

For most, a day-before-Thanksgiving visit would be a test of such faith, such adoration. But fear not. People were (mostly) very nice to one another. Such is the power of the Hawaiian shirts, the pumpkin pie and cranberry fizzy juice samples, and the cheapie veggie bologna (though they had sold out of Tofurkey, as they do every year, says the word on the street).

At least half the people were on cell phones, asking about favoured ingredients and legume preferences. I had a strong recurring urge to buy a pomegranate, but resisted. (No, I don't know why. Apparently, that was a sticking point. But, somehow, the chocolate-raspberry thing was not.) At one point, there was an announcement over the PA: We have a cute, little cocker spaniel running around up here. If anyone knows.... Oh, he's yours? Oh, good. Hey, we found your mom...

I made it home with my Buccaneer Joe's pirate booty, my mild ajvar, my cranberry and white chocolate scones (and other necessities packed into the aussie cloth grocery bags I brought) and escaped the rain.

2 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you'd be proud of me hal the only turkey this thanksgiving was a bit of the ol wild turkey bourban...I roasted vegetables dammit whats becoming of me....

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger Halley said...

I love it.
there's hope for you yet... ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home